Pages

Retired Classmates

I was just looking at Facebook, and noticed there are a lot of my classmates from high school that list their present occupation as "retired."

First off, it seems a little early to be retiring if you go by Social Security standards. Even with early retirement, you're supposed to be 62 years of age. People in my class should still be at least 5 years or so away from that. So what's with all these retired people?

Of course, for my part, I never worked at any job long enough to become vested for a retirement plan. I was a SAHM, we moved way too often, and I tended to have money making projects, but not so many jobs outside the home.

And while retirement seems foreign to me, I *still* don't work outside the home. (I am such a hermit!) I'm working hard getting a business off the ground, but I sit at home and work odd hours - albeit a LOT of hours - and not even thinking about retiring. Who's got time to retire?

I never did do things the way most "normal" people do them. So why start now?

2 comments:

Sounds early to me, too. But could "retired" be a euphemism for "lost my job in the recession and can't find a new one"?
Or maybe you just graduated with a whole bunch of really smart, successful entrepeneurs ....... LOL

 

You may be right about that Judith! Which reminds me... after I talked to Mike, I got to wondering what you're going to do? I've never heard of RC women priests!