Pages

Cry Me A River

Put on your rain slicker, tune out, quit reading or whatever if you’re not up to hearing my whine.

Bottom line. I'm discouraged.

You know, I really, REALLY wanted to win this 90 Day Challenge, but frankly, I don't see any way in the world I'm going to win. I'm so far behind it's pathetic. And why am I behind? I can sum it up in one word... weekends.

The 90DC doesn't take weekends off. The tasks are set up for 90 consecutive days, no time off. And most of the tasks so far have been quite time-consuming, as I’m learning how to do each thing. Yes, I get better and faster, but I’m not done learning tasks yet! I’ve still got at least two major new things to learn, one being another new piece of software. I hate learning new software at the best of times. Oh, I know, eventually I’ll think it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread sort of deal, but while I’m learning new stuff everything is slowed down to a crawl.

So. I’m behind. I still need to learn new tasks. Things aren’t going to speed up for a while yet. And weekends are close to a loss for getting anything done.

Why? Well, interruptions happen. Doing laundry happens. Baking pizza crusts happens. Ironing happens. Helping men find or do things happens. Cleaning the bird cage happens. Fixing lunch happens. Oh, and did I mention the frequent interruptions?

And misunderstandings happen.

Why is it in today's society that if a woman tries to focus on a career, she's self-centered, but in a man it's considered commendable? Why is it okay for a man to talk about his work, but who wants to hear what a woman is doing? What makes a man's work interesting, and a woman's so totally boring?

And guess who won last year’s 90DC? A man. Now, this man had to quit work due to disabilities. In fact, he has a rather inspiring story of going from making big bucks, to living on disability, to improving his income by using this system. He worked a lot of hours in order to win. He had to battle with neuropathy in his hands, and sometimes his wife even had to type for him.

Did you notice that? His wife HELPED him do stuff. Bet she also encouraged him. And further, I’ll bet she was also doing the household chores, cooking the meals, and all the other necessary tasks while he focused on this one thing.

Well, forgive the whine, but I can’t focus on just ONE thing. Someone has to do the farm chores. Someone has to cook. Someone has to clean up the kitchen. Someone has to do the laundry. Someone has to finish boxing up all this wool. Someone has to… well, you get the idea.

And who is this someone? You guessed it, ME.

The men go off to work. They go off to socialize, to church, whatever. I go to the doctor and the grocery store, and once a week to a restaurant. And I work at home.

Like everything else in life, working at home has its good and bad points. Sure, it’s great not to have to get dressed up and drive somewhere to work. Sure it’s great to be able to somewhat set your own hours. But somehow, if you’re working at home, people don’t seem to get you’re really WORKING.

You can stop for a minute and do what else needs done right?

Well, in not one, but two of the courses I’ve taken recently, interruptions in the work flow were talked about as one of the major productivity problems. Every time you stop to check your email, get something you need, answer the phone… whatever, you typically lose at least 20 minutes. That’s not counting the time it takes to do whatever you interrupted your work to do, that’s the 20 minutes it takes to get back into the flow of whatever you were doing BEFORE the interruption.

Further, the highest productivity comes from at least one, and better two, hours of uninterrupted time, focusing on the task at hand. No wonder people go to the office early, or stay late, trying to get something done without constant interruptions!

Interruptions, sick days, other responsibilities, learning new stuff, having other stuff to do on weekends -- it just seems to be a constant struggle trying to focus on one thing and get the work done for the 90DC.

I can’t win.
But I’ll keep trying.

7 comments:

I know what you mean about the work-at-home conundrum... it's way too easy to get distracted or interrupted, and there goes your line of thought. I've heard the "20 minutes" thing too, and it seems to play out, especially when doing something computer-related (but also with other things). One telemarketer call, or getting hamburger out of the freezer, or whatever, and there it goes! And it is easy to fall into the "at home, so just quickly do XYZ" trap, both on your own and with other people. Yeah, working from home DOES have its upsides, obviously, but it's not all good times!

 

I figured you'd have dealt with some of these problems also since you work at home too. With writing, sometimes you can be doing something different like taking the hamburger out of the freezer on autopilot, but still thinking about what you're working on, turning it over in your mind ... but if someone talks to you, there goes the thought and you're back to square one. On the computer, obviously you can't get up and go do something else and still keep in the flow of what you're working on. As you say, working at home is great, but it does have its drawbacks too!

 

There's a simple solution to this problem. You need a wife. I need a wife. Every working woman needs a wife.

Can you recreate the challenge to fit your 90 days, weekends not included? I think that's a reasonable solution. You won't hit the challenge's deadline but it might be workable for you.

 

Yeah, a wife might just solve the problem, huh? Someone else to do everything I've been doing.

And I can indeed fit the challenge to whatever time frame I want to just by doing the tasks as I have time for them. They're in a sequence, so that's doable. But that won't WIN the challenge, and that's worth $15,000. On the good side, I'm still building a business, on the not-so-good side, no way I could win.

 

Actually, my solution is to have a HUSBAND. I wouldn't have married Richard had we not been on the same page about EQUAL household responsiblities. In fact, now that he's working from home, I have to make sure that I don't take advantage of his "location" and ask him to do the little-things-that-end-up-costing-20-minutes! We both work at paying jobs, which means that we must SHARE the cooking, cleaning, laundry, house upkeep etc.

Is JB working full-time now? He must be if he's not able to help you out more around the house, the roof you're putting over his head. :-)

That said, your schedule is overwhelming to READ, never mind LIVE! I think you're doing amazing by simply tackling this 90 day challenge!

Not to be *too* cheesy, but you're TOTALLY the 90DC winner in our minds :-)! (The unfortunate thing is that our gold medal doesn't come with a $15k check...)

 

Tish, the fifteen thousand would have been a great help (in many ways); I'm sorry your 90DC didn't turn out as you had hoped. I have always thought you are busy enough for three people and never seem to mind being stretched beyond what is humanly possible. You are a winner hands down.

 

Chrystie... I realize I'm biased, but you have a gem of a husband. Take a poll among your friends, and if they are honest, I'm betting that even in this so called age of equality, and when both spouses are working at paying jobs, I'm betting in more cases than not, the woman is doing the biggest share of the housework, even among your age group.

Cheesy or not, thanks for making me a winner! Though to clarify a little, the prize is worth $15,000 -- but you only get $5,000 cash. Only, ha! The other $10,000 is in private coaching. Both would have been wonderful for many reasons!

Linda, thanks for the kind words. I keep working on being a winner, but most days it doesn't feel like I'm even close!