Pages

Where did everybody go?

When I started writing today, I was thinking about giving, and the many ways I benefited from times when I could give to others. But I guess my mood is a little darker, probably a result of “rain pain.” (The rain we’re getting is much needed, but it does hurt. It’s tough being a human barometer!)

My mind wandered from giving, to all the things I used to do for others, to wondering where all those others went when I could have benefited from knowing they cared.

Strangely enough, as it grew harder for me to get out and I saw people less, it got so about the only time I heard from most people was when they wanted me to do something for them. I’ve always felt that was kind of ironic.

I didn’t expect dinners or visits, but just an occasional note via snail mail, or an email, would have been really nice. It doesn’t take a big effort, just some little thing that lets a person know someone still remembers they’re alive. It hurts when people you thought cared about you seem to forget they ever knew you.

So if you ever know someone who is dealing with a chronic illness and don’t know what to do, try checking out the Rest Ministries site, with a list of ways to encourage people.

You don’t have to know exactly “the right thing to say,” you just have to give another human being a little sign that you remember they exist.

I appreciate those that have been there for me, have been my friends through the good times and the hard times. A person’s friends are their greatest treasure. May you be as richly blessed as you have blessed me by your kindness.

THANK YOU for being there.

2 comments:

That was beautifully put and a good reminder to all of us; especially me, who gets so wrapped up in my world that I forget about others. I, for one, hope you continue sharing through your blog.

 

I think we need a conveniently located, painless indicator that reminded people that "I hurt." I think people forget that we hurt because they can't see our pain. We do things, so we must feel good, right? Wrong. We do things because life goes on and things have to get done. Maybe a little built in color strip on our arm that indicated pain level would be good! A farmer's tan and a red/yellow/green strip. Oh ya, that'd be hot!