Pages

A Moo-ving Experience

Sunday morning I woke up at 4:30am. With chronic pain and fibromyalgia, my sleep patterns are often a tad erratic, so I usually just go with the flow.

At daybreak I went outside to do chores. I took my camera out with me, hoping for some good pictures in that nice early morning light.
I flipped the picture so it wouldn't be upside down, but this is actually a reflection in our pond of the sun hitting the tree tops.

By the time I’d wore myself out, Jess was awake and getting ready for church. After he left, I decided I’d try to get some more sleep.

I’d been asleep about an hour when the dogs woke me with their frantic barking. They usually quiet down after a few minutes when it’s a stray dog going down the road, but this time they just kept on and on and on.

I decided I’d better get up and investigate. I looked out the front door to discover this huge creature staring back at me.


It was a moo-ving experience.

Yes, there was a huge black cow leisurely munching her way through what little grass there is in our front yard.

Naturally, I couldn’t resist and went and grabbed my camera. After I took a few shots, she ambled on towards our garden. Noooooo! THAT didn’t seem like a good idea, even if she was dropping organic fertilizer as she went. I tried to shoo her away from there back into the yard, but she went in the opposite direction and moseyed on up into the orchard.

I figured it was safe to leave her there, since unlike goats or sheep, the cow wouldn’t eat the bark off the trees. I went inside and called over to our neighbors, Dwight and Dorothea. I figured they’d know who owned the cow so I could call and inform them they had an escapee.

It turned out the owner is one of Dwight’s best friends. After Dwight called him and apprised him of the situation, Dwight came outside to see for himself what was happening.

In the meantime, I’d discovered there was more than one loose bovine.

When Dwight got outside to investigate the cow in our orchard, I pointed out there were also a couple of cattle in his driveway. He took one look and declared the little steer looked just right for putting in the freezer. Sounded like a good idea to me too.

It wasn’t too long before Dwight’s buddy, Shorty, showed up with a stout stick in hand. He must have thought one of cattle might be a bull, or that it might help scoot the calves along, because he sure didn’t need any stick to move that amiable cow.

I went back inside and left the Dynamic Duo to steering the cattle back to their pasture, especially since part of the journey was through a bog and tick-infested woods. Have at it guys! I’ll cheer you on!

Ahhh, life in the country.
We have such udderly unique experiences.

0 comments: