Pages

Honey, I Wrecked The Car

This hasn't been one of our better weeks. We lost a llama baby we waited a year for, and now today... well, here's the story.

This afternoon about 4:30pm the phone rang. We have Caller ID, so I could see the number was Jess's cell phone. But when I answered, I just heard a lot of noise, but nothing from Jess. The line went dead and I hung up.

The phone rang again. Same deal. Okay, this time I called HIM to ask what was going on. That's when I heard...

"Honey, I wrecked the car."

There are just some phone calls you don't want to get. Kind of like another call I got, along the lines of, "Hi Mom, I wrecked the car and I was hanging upside down and the car was on fire." (Not to name names, but the guilty party's initials are R.A.B.)

Now granted, if the people concerned are making the calls, then you at least have the comfort of knowing that they probably are not seriously hurt.

Thankfully, that was the case here also. Jess wasn't hurt, just flustered and upset. Which was why the phone calls weren't going through - he'd forgot his blue tooth was in his pocket, and the phone was still connected to it.

Anyway, here's my Reader's Digest Condensed version of the story - if you want the long version, call Jess.

It seems he was coming off I-565 onto the Parkway and was going to change lanes. He saw one dumptruck in his rearview mirror. Only trouble was, there was another big dumptruck he didn't see (blind spot in mirror sort of deal) and he turned right into it.

The truck spun the car around and dumped it in a ditch. Fortunately, they were only going 10-15 miles an hour, or as the driver of the dumptruck told Jess, "I'd probably have turned your car upside down and ran over it."

Nice thought.

Jess doesn't think there is major damage, but you can't really tell what's went on under the car. He knows one of the new tires is flat (yes, just last week we had to get four new tires... sigh...). There's a dent in the left rear quarter panel behind the door.

Jess informs me that "it was kind of bumpy ride going up over the curb and down into the ditch." I'll just bet it was!

The car has been towed to a wrecker service yard, and will later be taken to a shop in Fayetteville for repair as the insurance people instructed. Jess should get a rental car, but we'll have to go down to Huntsville to pick it up.

I asked Jess if he had anything to add to my facts here, and he said "No, except it's just a real bummer."

Yeah, he was so excited after getting new tires and how smooth the car was riding now. So much for that, ha!

Well, it's may sound trite or corny, but the fact is the car can be fixed, no one was hurt, and bottom line is that's what matters.

Oh, and the silver lining to this particular cloud is since he wrecked right close to Red Lobster, we had dinner there before coming home. At least that part was nice!

4 comments:

Yeah, I had flashbacks reading that even before getting to somebody-I-can't-imagine-who's initials in the story... very glad everyone's okay, and hopefully the car's relatively okay too! At least you got some cheese biscuits out of it...

 

"Whose", not "who's"... whoops. Yeah, I am nitpicky.

 

Yeah, and I even happened to have a $4 off coupon in my purse for Red Lobster. Handy. However, I told Jess net time we really ought to try getting there with OUT a car wreck, thank you very much! =:-O

 

ugh, next time, not net time. Little trouble with the spelling here tonight.