Pages

Flying has it's drawbacks...

First off, I can say I am extremely thankful I didn't have tickets for an American Airlines flight, and had to worry about my flight being canceled.

I did however goof up right off the bat and ended up getting pulled out for extra security at the Huntsville Airport. I had my laptop in it's old case, and didn't remember there was a pair of small scissors in there. The lady asked me where they were located. She measured them, and they were small enough to be in carry on luggage. I told her to just throw them away if they were a problem. She said, 'No, we just need to be sure you can't get to them easily."

Huh?? If I carry them on, what does it matter how easily I can get to them? If they're a risk, and I can get to them at all, why let them through???

At any rate, they did, and I finally got into the main part of the airport.

The first flight to Atlanta was easy enough. Once there, they played musical chairs with the gates, and it was come in on one concourse, move to another, and then they change the gate and move again... they were boarding when I finally made it to the right gate.

Then came Minneapolis. In my bit of traveling experience, if there's a place there's going to be a problem, that airport will be the one. Yesterday was no exception. However, weather was the problem, and I don't hold that against the airport facility! Airplane maintenance, over scheduling, and stuff like that, yes, but not the weather.

Anyway, we were put "on hold" in the air for about half an hour while they changed runways and rearranged when and where planes would land. Of course, that meant the plane I was to go out on was also late, since it had to wait to land also.

The upshot was we were an hour late boarding the plane, then sat on the runway for another hour waiting our turn for the de-icer and go ahead to fly out. First it was sleet, and by the time we left, it was snowing. They were expecting anywhere from 4-8" of snow.

It was 11pm when our plane made it to Winnipeg, then I had to go through customs, find my suitcase - which thankfully made it there with me! - and finally made it out to find Richard waiting!

At least I didn't totally miss a flight and have to stay over somewhere and wonder when I was going to finally make it to Canada!!!

Hopefully, flights will be as easy or better yet, right on time and easier, on the way home.

0 comments: