Pages

All I want for Christmas. . .

Well, all I want for Christmas, I guess I've already got. I certainly haven't thought of anything I would put on a gift list. In fact, we're all kind of non-Christmas at our house this year. It seems to be a non-event. I'm not sure why. But right now it's one week until Christmas, and -
  • There are NO Christmas decorations anywhere to be found.
  • There are NO Christmas presents anywhere to be found.
  • Thare are NO Christmas cards being mailed.
  • There are NO plans to remedy the above.
A bunch of Scrooges? Maybe.
Perhaps we're all Grinches? Maybe.
An over-reaction to the commercialization of Christmas? Maybe.

For whatever reason, it seems no one here can get in the spirit of the season. For myself, I would have to say I feel more sadness than joy this time of year.

Sure, you hear that Jesus is the reason for the season. If you can go to Christmas services, I guess you might feel that more. If I had a church home, I might feel that more. But for various reasons, I don't.

And, well, we don't really KNOW when his birthday is, now do we? I mean, historically it can't be pinpointed to an exact year, let alone an exact date. So instead of going crazy just at Christmas and Easter, well, why not a passion for Jesus all year long?

So it seems Christmas isn't on our calendar this year. I think it's just going to be another day off, like having an extra Saturday. Maybe next year will be different, but this year, I'm not doing Christmas.

Have a nice day.

2 comments:

Thankfully Christmas is not really about what we do .... cards, parties, gifts, decorations. It's about what was done for us in the coming of God into our world in human flesh. In a barn, of all places. A young mother without her mother or aunts to help her delivery. In the lap of the oppressive, pagan Roman occupation.

Sometimes I think that not "celebrating" Christmas as we usually do can be an effective spritual experience. The trappings of Christmas are just that: trappings. The heart of it is the love God has for us.

Embrace that in your husband and son, in preparing for Ellie's surgery, in knowing that folks out here love you. In that we can rejoice.

 

Oh yes, I may not be into Christmas so much this year, but I don't forget how blessed I am, and the family is!