Pages

A Change in Pain

We’ve had some much needed rain here, and for that I’m grateful. What I do NOT like is the pain that always accompanies the rain.

Having chronic pain from thoracic neuralgia, plus fibromyalgia, I’m accustomed to having various types of pain. However, when it’s “rain pain”, it’s usually a generalized ache, a kind of blah getting-the-flu kind of feeling, with really achy bones & muscles.

Last night was different.

The pain was in the left side of my chest, instead of the usual right side, and it was intense. For a while there, I was afraid I was having a heart attack. I came [this] close to asking someone to take me to the Emergency Room.

But the pain was worse when ribs were pressed, and upon taking deep breaths and various other clues that led me to believe the problem is intercostal chondritis. I had a bad episode many years ago. It can also be a sort of “side effect” with fibromyalgia. The cause is apparently unknown (so what’s new?).

What I do know is I really don’t need a new kind of pain.

3 comments:

I get that flu like feeling a lot but haven't noticed if it happens when it rains. I usually can't move well enough to go to work when it rains. Also have the chondritis. Glad you mentioned the flu feeling coz I never associated it with chronic pain and did not know why it was happening.

 

The flu-like symptoms are often a part of fibromyalgia... the aches and malaise like you're getting flu. Do you also have that problem, along w/whatever type chronic pain you have?

 

No, I don't have fibromyalgia. I have a complex regional pain syndrome in the lumbar area from a collapsed lumbar spine. The discs at L1 thru L3 are gone and the vertebra have naturally fused. A month ago I had a tear in the L4 disc so I am on a roll.