Pages

Definitely NOT Cheaper By The Dozen

Now I know women are stereotyped as compulsive shoppers who love to hit the malls at every opportunity and shop till they drop. Well, it’s probably no surprise to anyone who knows me well, but I don’t fit this stereotype. Not even close. If I’ve got to shop, let me get on the internet and window shop there until I find what I’m looking for at the best possible price.

However, sometimes it becomes a necessity to shop at a “brick and mortar” store. Since Jess is still pretty much a homebody except for trips to get Physical Therapy or to see the doctor, it was left to Jonathan and me to do the shopping. We ended up visiting a dozen places, and as you know, these days shopping isn’t cheap, so it sure wasn’t cheaper by the dozen!

Here’s today’s itinerary:

Stop #1: Post office
I needed to mail 3 packages, plus get a new roll of stamps and check our mailbox. No waiting in lines, so a quick in and out.

Stop #2: Gas Station
Jonathan has been chauffeuring us around a lot, so his car needed tanked up again. (I wish gas would stay down at $1.46 a gallon. Much cheaper to fill the tank!)

Stop #3: A Trip Down Nostalgia Lane (aka as Arrow Lands Trail)
Yesterday after dropping Jess off for physical therapy and going to the feed store, Jonathan and I stopped to check out a new little store and got some ice cream cones. Not the soft serve stuff, but the real deal. They were scrumptious, and Jonathan remarked that he couldn’t remember when the last time was he had an ice cream cone; it was almost like a nostalgic item.

So in keeping with the nostalgic theme, we got the idea to drive by our previous house located in Meridianville this morning, just to see how things looked. We haven’t been there in 10 years I guess, and it was totally surreal. There were new businesses and stuff along the road there, and it didn’t look the least bit familiar. The house itself looked pretty much the same, with the only obvious difference being different colored shutters. But cruise to the end of the street and WOW! The neighborhood exploded! There were all kinds of HUGE new houses, and on past that even more houses of a more modest sort. It was another outing themed, “You can’t go home again.” You might revisit the location, but it sure isn’t the same place you left!

Stop #4: Lowe’s
I got a coupon in the mail for a $10 discount at Lowe’s. It expired 12/31/2008, so I needed to use it pronto. There’s never any problem of thinking of something to buy at Lowe’s. It’s more a matter of trimming down the list to meet the budget. Today’s winners were:
  • plastic for insulating windows
  • tracks & brackets to put a set of shelves on the wall in the office
  • Rope to make a network down one side of the parrot’s play-door in my office, plus a dowel stick to make a couple of perches
Stop #5: Foods For Life
It’s a little health food store we like to visit from time to time, especially when we are running low on stevia to sweeten our iced tea. We were also looking for some Vitamin E cream, as both at the hospital and at rehab now, they keep telling Jess he needs some to rub on his incision scars.

Stop #6: Toys R Us
Jonathan went in and picked up his last check. Thank goodness for the vacation and earned time off giving him another decent paycheck!

Stop #7: C-Bank
Both Jonathan and I had deposits to make, and I wanted to take the money Jess’s Sunday School class donated for Ellie’s fund, and turn a stack of $1 bills into $100 bills.

Stop #8: Babies R Us
We drove past Madison Square Mall which I honestly can not tell you the last time I was in there, and went to Babies R Us. Dangerous territory. I saw some cute little outfits, and one little BAMA cheerleader outfit if they’d had the right size would have been bought… but I resisted temptation and we kept looking until we found the door corner protectors we wanted. Also found some Vitamin E cream for Jesse to use on his knees – never mind it’s made for pregnant ladies and their stretch marks!

Stop #9: Lowe’s
Yeah, I know. We already went there, but guess who forgot to use their nifty little $10 discount card? Fortunately, the lady at customer service was very nice and took it off my receipt and gave me a refund. I would have been really bummed if I hadn’t used it after making a point of getting down there before the card expired!

Stop #10: R-Bank
Another stop for banking business!

Stop #11: Pharmacy
Jess called in a refill yesterday for one of his heart medications. It wasn’t ready. After much searching on the computer, the pharmacist finally came up with why. Seems like although there were more refills left on the prescription, it was over a year old, so they called Jess’s cardiologist to get a new one and he hadn’t sent it yet. Fortunately, she lent us enough pills to get Jess through 3 days. Unfortunately, that isn’t enough to get him through to the day Jonathan and I would usually be back down there to go grocery shopping at Publix, so we’ll have to make an extra trip.

Stop #12: Taco Bell
What can I say? We were hungry; Jess has been craving Mexican food. We got some “to go” and headed home.

So, there ya go, my shop till ya drop day.

2 comments:

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Yep, it was tiring indeed! & yeah, it was tempting to buy something else. . . but I resisted. :-)