Pages

Office Makeover

I really should have taken a picture of the office before we started rearranging things. It was packed FULL of stuff. Boxes everywhere. All kinds of stuff crammed onto shelves. Couldn’t hardly see the floor except for a small path through the room. A total disaster.

I packed stuff up and Jonathan helped me carry it out. We took everything out but the computer table and a couple of bookshelves. We put them on one side of the room while Jonathan shampooed the carpet on the other side, then he moved the furniture to the clean side, and shampooed the carpet that was still dirty.

Then he put my computer back together. He did a really neat job with bundling the wires up so they weren’t a mess of spaghetti everywhere.

And that's the status my office has been since before Jess had his knee surgery.

This is what you see when you first walk into the room. There's a built-in closet to the left not shown in the picture. The black metal strips up against the couch are the tracks for the new bookshelves.

This is the end of the office, the wall "facing" the back yard. That's the parrot's play door by the windows. She was always walking in to see what I was doing and getting into trouble because there was no where for her to perch and play. Jess told the old door from the bathroom - we put up a new one when we remodeled it - and made this play center. Cool, huh?

And here's the computer desk area. The door is in front of it, along the same wall, and the white directly in front are the doors to the built-in closet.

I’ve been trying to decide if I like this arrangement. Well, actually, I didn’t. I hated it. It just seems a long walk around to finally get to sit down at the desk. It's not as simple to just walk in a few steps and check my email as it was before.

However, I’ve tried and tried to rearrange the furnishings on the graph I made of the room, and there is no way to change the arrangement and keep everything in there that is now in the room. So I’m just going to have to learn to like it.

That being the case, the next step is to get some shelves on the wall over top of the couch. We bought the tracks and brackets at Lowe’s yesterday, but still have to buy the boards. I also need to fix the 2 free-standing bookshelves along the back wall.

Then I need to start bringing stuff back in. That’s going to be much more difficult than it was taking it out - and that took 2 or 3 days - because I need to arrange it in some semblance of order as I put it back. Neatly.

This is going to take a while.

2 comments:

You've utilized every square inch of your wonderful office! It must be a fairly large room. If you cannot find another way to arrange it, I'm sure it is not possible! It would be so nice to have a separate room for the computer. The dining room shares the space with my computer!

 

If I remember right, the room is about 9x11' - I've never had a computer in the dining room, but it's been in our bedroom more than once, or one of the kid's bedrooms.