Pages

Instant Nothing

Have you ever noticed in these days of instant communication, nobody communicates?

We’ve got snail mail and email, faxes and telegrams, telephones and Skype, Facebook and MySpace, cell phones and texting, blogs and websites… just all kinds of ways for people to communicate.

Except somehow, we all too often don’t.

Sure, I get lots of junk mail in the mailbox at the end of the driveway. And I get a lot of spam in my email box. I’ll bet you do too. I hear a lot from people I don’t really care about. But keeping in contact with family and friends doesn’t seem to happen so easily. I guess it’s the “I’ll do it tomorrow” syndrome. Except usually a whole lot of tomorrows pass, and it doesn’t happen. Everyone is just too busy.

I don’t know the answer. My present solution is to put a family update on my blog every week or so, so any family and friends who want to know how everyone is doing at our house can read it. But I can only tell what I know about the 3 of us here. Not ideal, but something.

But what’s happening with the rest of the family, well, who knows? Not everyone has blogs. And most everyone is far away from us. No more than we all communicate some times, you’d think we were waiting for letters coming by Pony Express, or wagon train or something.

I guess we’re just not good communicators these days.

0 comments: