Pages

The Daily Grind

I need to head off to bed, but I know it’s an exercise in futility. Rain is coming. Rain pain keeps me awake.

A whole lot of today seemed to be an exercise in futility, or at best, just the same old daily grind. Get up and fix Jess’s lunch and put it in his cooler. Feed the cat, turtle and bird, then go outside and feed all the critters there.

Clean the kitchen. Run the dishwasher. Do some laundry.

Answer the phone, not once, but twice. (I’m not a phone person. I consider it a necessary evil for emergency use only.) The first time was the receptionist from the dentist’s office. How fortuitous! I needed to call her to see if I could get an appointment for Jonathan to go in and get the crown put back on his molar.

She was calling to remind Jess he has an appointment tomorrow. She also made an appointment for Jonathan to go in tomorrow. I jokingly told her it’s too bad she didn’t have an appointment for me too, and we could just all sit there together in their office!

Phone call #2. Once again somebody I needed to call, but had been putting off. She’s a nice lady, but a talker. She called to ask me who does our farm website. Well, I do. "Okay then," says she, "how do you do it?" Uhhhh, could you be more specific please? I tried to answer her questions and hope I actually helped her a little.

Somewhere in the conversation she asked me when we might want the sheep sheared, which is what I needed to call her about, and I said Saturday. She’s supposed to double check with her husband and get back to me. I’ll have to answer the phone when she calls, can’t just let her leave a message, cause I think the answering machine is broken. I lost an hour in the middle of my work day today talking to her. I don’t want to lose another hour this week, because I’ve got to waste time on Friday to go to the doctor and I have soooo much I need to get done.

I nailed the old towel rack onto the back of the old bathroom door. I haven’t bought new towel racks yet, but was tired of moving wet towels around (shower curtain rod to commode lid to counter to...). If I put up the old rack back on the wall, it would make holes in our freshly painted wall when I yanked it back out. Not good. I figured old rack on old door, good solution. They’ll both eventually be replaced.

I replaced the egg turner in one of the incubators as the one in there didn’t seem to be working. I tested the replacement, and it worked fine, but now it’s in that incubator, I haven’t seen it move. What’s with this? Bad electrical outlet, or what?

I fixed myself some soup for lunch, and made a homemade pizza for supper.

Somewhere in this day I managed to do some research and write an article on Yerba Mate for the “Real. Easy. Good. Food.” website, and also got an “About” page written and posted. This blog will be a key component for the first go round of what I’m learning with my course work.

I also spent two hours listening to a “Question & Answer” session for our course. I think I have about 10 pages of notes from it. It wasn't the best timing, as I had to go do evening chores early, and it lasted so late both guys came home in the middle of it, and Jess had picked up our first basket of food from our CSA, which needed to be put away.

Jess put the perishables like the eggs and meat away, then once the teleseminar was finally over, I washed the radishes and cut them up, and put the greens and peas and broccoli and stuff away.

Writing about it, I can see I maybe got a little more done than I thought, but it still wasn’t what I had hoped to get done, especially relating to my course work, but had too many interruptions to manage it.

Oh well, tomorrow’s another day, Lord willing.

0 comments: