Pages

My brain is fried!

I've worked several hours on my course today, but at this point my brain is fried and I thought a change of pace would do me good. Last night I was listening to a teleconference call for TWO HOURS AND 15 MINUTES. That was after working most of the day on my studies. I think my brain needs rebooted.

Actually, the call was pretty good. It was supposed to be one of the "Dream Team" consulting experts, but they had a glitch in scheduling and he couldn’t do it last night, and will do his segment at a later date. Instead, the two main instructors did a Q&A session.

There was a lot of helpful information, but sometimes I wanted to pull my hair out. The moderators said right up front to ask a ONE SENTENCE QUESTION so more people would have a chance to ask a question; they didn't have time to listen to your life story. But the younger guy doing the moderating wasn't forceful enough to cut off some of these people who were even more clueless than I am and were maundering on with stuff like, "I've just GOT to make this work." (I thought, "Well, yeah, who of us that just spent all this $$ did it without figuring we needed to make it work?")

Or they'd ask technical questions about their computer. Hello? That's NOT what this course is about. Things like how to make their Mac work (get a PC, ha!). Actually, they did tell them to get a program for the MAC that would run windows to make it easier.

One lady was even cheeky enough to ask them about a different study program, and should she take it, or continue with theirs or??? They handled that pretty well, saying they couldn't really speak about a competitor's program, but what she needed to do was pick ONE, it didn't matter which, and stick with that one until she was finished before trying another.

NOBODY had a one sentence question by the time all was said and done. They may have started out with one, but the moderators asked questions to clarify, and when they stayed on the subject, it was helpful even if not something I thought to ask about. However, that meant even though it was a LONG call, only a handful of people got their questions answered.

Fortunately, one lady at the end asked a couple of questions that mirrored some of the stuff I wondered about, so I got some of my most pressing questions answered anyway.

I think the best three bits of advice I took away from all that talk was the following:

* Don’t over-think it at this stage. We’re not doing the whole business plan from the start, but learning the skills we need to make it all work. I was trying to think 3 business’s ahead, yikes! "Learn the skill set, then you can apply it over and over again."

* Make a regular time to work on it. They really got on some people who were being wishy-washy when they asked them how long they could work on their project each day, and they’d say something like, “Maybe a couple of hours.” NO, make a COMMITMENT to spend a certain amount of time each day, preferably at the same time each day, or the time will slide by and you’ll never get anywhere.

My favorite was a guy who couldn’t spend time on his work not because of his family interrupting him, but because his dogs did. They told him to hire a dog-sitter if he needed to, which rather cracked me up.

* Go through the lessons step by step. Don’t jump around. In other words, FOCUS. Don’t try to work on more than one course of study at a time. Concentrate on ONE thing.

Of course, I learned a lot of other things including answers to some of my questions, but I consider those extra pearls of wisdom I need to take to heart.

I hope my brain can hold all this information!

0 comments: