Pages

Drama and Adventures in Outer Space

That’s what I put in the mailbox this morning, drama and adventure. The last episode of the seventh and last season of Star Trek: Deep Space 9. Watching that last episode was like reading the last page of a really good book. One you really hate to put down, and somewhere down the road, you just know you’re going to have to read it again, it was that good.

To tell the truth, when Jonathan suggested we try watching DS9, I wasn’t too sure I was going to like it. I’m a long time Star Trek fan, so long I remember watching the original series – not reruns! - on tv. (Does that date me, or what?) I loved Star Trek then, and I love it now, but I wasn't too sure about this newer series.

We'd already went through the Star Trek: Voyager series though. (We make good use of our Netflix account!) It was pretty good, and I enjoyed watching it, so figured might as well give DS9 at try.

Well, Deep Space 9 was not only good, it was better.

Forget the fact it’s science fiction and set on a space station. For sci-fi fans that’s a plus, but what it really had going for it was drama and adventure! It had an on-going story, with lots of twists and turns, and lots of character development. People liked and disliked other people and things. People loved and fought and did all the things people do in real life.

People were real. Bad guys occasionally did good things, and the good guys occasionally did bad things. These weren't cookie-cutter characters, but complex individuals.

There were not only some excellent family relationships, there were lots of well-developed friendships. Guys who were best buddies and would occasionally even admit they loved each other. Men and women who were good friends without the erotic overtones, but valued their friendship instead. And yes, since it’s science fiction, not only were there friendships between different races and genders, but between different species.

Wikipedia notes, “The show is noted for its well-developed characters and its original, complex plots. The series also depended on darker themes, less physical exploration of space, and an emphasis (in later seasons) on many aspects of war.”

Yeah, there was a huge war going on the last couple of seasons that did indeed become quite dark. A time or two I wavered, thinking this was getting too much like the new version of Battlestar Galactica, and too dark and “real” for my tastes. But they dealt with those aspects well, and didn’t dwell in the darkness always. Light peeped through in unexpected places sometimes.

Bottom line: I was sorry to watch this last episode. I cried at the sundering of so many long-standing loves and friendships, as people were pulled in different directions, killed in the final battle, or for whatever reason, moving on. It was, by and large, a good show with few so-so episodes.

I’m going to miss all those people from Deep Space 9 and their drama and adventures.

2 comments:

I think I actually like DS9 BETTER than TNG, for exactly those reasons -- it's more character-driven.

Enterprise, on the other hand... I didn't last past a few shows, and popping in once or twice later on, I didn't see that I was missing much.

Here's hoping the "prequel" coming out is good stuff!

See, that's how you get me to comment... geek-talk. ;)

 

Need more geek-speak, huh? ;-)

Yes, being on the space station, they had the opportunity to not only develop the characters of the good guys, but the bad guys as well since they weren't always zipping off to a new adventure & new people.

I concur about Enterprise... I watched a few episodes here and there, but never got "pulled into" the story.

Trekker-Geeks are hoping for great things from this new prequel movie!