Pages

Mid-term Report Card for Alaska Cruise

Actually, we’re more than half way through now, but this is the first day I've had time to write much. Here’s my take on the trip so far…

Cruises aren’t all bad. They just aren’t the thrilling glide through paradise the travel agents and cruise lines would have you believe. I’m sure it makes a HUGE difference if you never get seasick.

Strangely enough, I wasn’t troubled by motion sickness while on the smaller boat, a catamaran, for the whale watching cruise. It seems like the motion on the big ship is worse, though it’s more subtle. You feel like the “ground” beneath your feet just isn’t quite steady and you’re a little out of kilter. On the catamaran, it’s noticeable and can be dismissed. ON the bigger ship, it’s sneaky and bothersome.

Anyway, here's my report:

Day 1) Seattle: A+
I wish I’d had more time there! The Space Needle and Science Fiction Museum were awesome, but I would also have loved to visited Pike Street Market and other interesting things in the area.

Day 2) Cruising towards Juneau: C-
Okay, disregarding the fact I was very sick, this was rather boring. Sea and sky lose their novelty after a while. I don’t like lectures on gems or shopping or gambling.

Day 3) More of the same: C-

Day 4) Juneau: A+
Our Whale Watching & Wildlife Quest was superb! And there were many, many more shore excursions that looked interesting and fun. (By the way, check out the Rural Ramblings site for pictures and story about our whale watching adventure.)

Day 5) Skagway: A+
The train ride was thrilling. Though I didn’t really think of it at the time, it’s true the train was on a narrow space with drop-offs that went a long, long way! I just hung on to the rails, though I did get bounced around enough once to produce a spectacular bruise on one leg. There was just so much to see, who had time to think about being scared?

Day 6) Glacier Bay: A+
If I had to choose one word, it would be “majestic.” Awe-inspiring. The immensity of the glaciers and mountains is hard to comprehend. More on this when I get pictures ready, and oh boy! Will it be hard to choose which ones to use.

What’s left?

Day 7) Ketchikan.
We’re scheduled to go to Saxman Village. I hope it’s as interesting as the description in the brochure.

Day 8) Victoria
Our shortest tour of the trip, we’re supposed to see the city’s sights.

Day 9) Seattle by 7am, and then fly home about 12:30pm. I go through Memphis, and should be in Nashville before 9pm. Don’t forget me Jess!

And that’s how it goes for now!

3 comments:

The sights sound lovely! It's too bad there isn't more to do on the boat. My parents saw movies and shows on their cruise. I'm glad you've been telling us so much about this. I have a much better idea of what to look for when we go. Are they coming in to clean your room (hotel style) while you're out during the day?

 

I know exactly what you mean when you say cruises aren't "that thrilling ride through paradise" as one might imagine. Ron and I both agree one was enough for us. Glad your shore excursions are exciting and looking forward to seeing the pictures!

 

Yes, they clean the room. They're neat freaks about the entire ship! And there are things to do, it's just that for the most part either not stuff I liked, or not stuff Dad liked. I'm sure cruises are great for some people!