Pages

Out of this World!

It's been a very long day, and though it’s not even 6pm Pacific time, I’m about done in. I had a continental breakfast at the motel (think bagel and juice), got all packed up and ready to go, checked out and called a taxi.

My first stop was Pier 66, to get rid of my luggage. They have an early check-in for the luggage, so I waited in a fairly long line to get up there and show my papers and let them take the luggage to put board the ship.

Once my luggage was safely stowed, I thought about walking to the Space Needle. Briefly. The streets between the pier and Space Needle are STEEP. It’s maybe 10 or 12 blocks and I didn’t want to be totally worn out before I ever got there, so once again, I got in a taxi.

To actually go to the top of the Space Needle was so cool. I’ve seen it in so many shows and movies (“Men in Black” for instance), and to finally see it with my own two eyes and see the view from the top… out of this world!

I went round and round taking pictures, far too many to include here. One couple stopped me and quizzed me about digital cameras and what one like mine cost and what made it different from the little thin pocket ones. So many people ask me questions about digital cameras and what to buy that I’m getting my spiel down to a science.

It was interesting to see our cruise ship, The Norwegian Pearl, from the top of the tower. Kind of gives you a perspective for how big it is!

Going around the deck there were people asking a stranger to take their picture every few feet, so I got in the spirit of things and asked a lady to take my picture. Note our cruise ship is in the background!

Finally, I decided I’d seen enough and got on the elevator to go down to the bottom again. It was time to go even further out of this world and visit The Science Fiction Museum. (Richard, eat your heart out!)

Where to begin??? I saw costumes from all kinds of science fiction movies: Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes; Darth Vader’s costume, Captain Kirk, Sarek, Klingon, several from Blade Runner, the leather jacket Arnold Schwarzenegger wore in Terminator, and the leather jacket Harrison Ford wore in Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom, Batman’s suit, Tara – Princess of Mars, and many, many more.

There were models of all kinds of space ships, there were paintings used for jacket art of science-fiction books, there was an armory section with all kinds of “ray guns” and phasers and other props used in science fiction show.

I saw ET and Yoda and the Robbie the robot from Lost in Space. I saw a HUGE monster from the Alien series, and the luggage handler used by Sigourney Weaver as she was battling it.

It was a intergalactic feast of costumes and props and information about science fiction. I can’t come close to listing everything. I wandered around in there until my legs just wouldn’t take it any more. If you like science fiction and you’re ever in Seattle – don’t miss it! It’s great! (Yes, Richard, you would really, REALLY like it!)

The only down side was NO picture taking is allowed, but that’s understandable and not unusual in museums. Also, the gift shop was kind of pathetic. I was hoping to pick up some neat souvenirs for the science-fiction minded I know, but it was mostly coffee cups and t-shirts. Who wants a coffee mug that says “Science Fiction Museum” if you’ve never been there?

By the time I’d finished, it was about time to think about heading for the ship. Since it’s DOWN hill from the Space Needle area to Pier 66, I walked. Seattle was living up to it’s reputation for rain, but it was pretty light, and I’d had enough foresight to wear a hooded jacket which I just bought to take on this trip. It came in handy!

There was a long line of people waiting to check in and it took a while, but finally I had my room key card, and got to board the ship.

I found the room and Dad. We checked out the buffet, participated in a mandatory safety drill, and went on deck to look at the scenery for a little while once the ship got under way.

Now we’re both tired, and probably won’t be doing much this evening. In fact, Dad is already in bed, being very tired considering he never got any sleep last night. They had to leave at 2am to get to the airport in Charleston, WV, flying out at 6am, so traveled all morning.

It’s been a long day, but a good one.

Alaska, here we come!

2 comments:

Oh, Tish, it is all so wonderful. I'm so happy you can be with your dad enjoying this great cruise together.

 

Sounds great, hope you have a good time the rest of the trip... at least the largest R-nose-rubbing-in is now done ;)