Pages

Strategy for Life

If you have a problem like chronic pain, you can’t get by with just living “off the cuff” day by day, floating along without any planning. Life requires a strategy, and it’s especially important if you’re getting ready for something special like a trip.

Needless to say, I’ve been doing a lot of planning lately, figuring out the best strategy to get ready for my trip to Alaska. I’ve trying to get everything finished in enough time to have a bit of a rest before I leave on Saturday. I don’t want to be totally worn out before I even get started traveling.

Saturday morning! That’s less than 3 days away folks!

I’ve got stuff packed, with just some last minute additions needed. I have a list I’ll re-check Friday evening to make sure I’ve got everything in there.

I've spent time figuring out the best number and kind of suitcases to take, and tried to figure out the best clothes to put in them, while planning for every contingency I can. I've thought about how I'm going to manage luggage at the airports, and on the way to the motel and ship.

Since I’m traveling by myself, I don’t have the luxury of a second person to tote extra carry-on luggage or pull along a big suitcase. My nine days worth of clothes,, toiletries, laptop and photography equipment have to fit in something I can manage.

It’s not going to be easy.

And as I originally expected, there is no straight flight between Seattle and Nashville. The itinerary I received from the tour company showed only the departure time from Seattle, and then the arrival in Nashville, making it look like there was a straight flight. However, when I called today for the 72-hour-ahead-of-time confirmation, it turns out that the flight does indeed have an hour layover in Memphis. It’s just that I continue on in the same plane in the same seat, and the tour company didn't bother to note that extra stop.

I haven't even left, and there are changes in plans.

I can only hope my weeks of preparation will pay off. I’ve tried to check things out and come up with a strategy for each situation. I know there will be glitches here and there, and I need to be flexible, but it helps relieve stress to at least have a notion of what to do for each segment of the trip.

Yes, I have a plan. Now if the pain levels and life in general will just cooperate!

2 comments:

Have fun! Hope you packed lots of film.

 

Thanks! I'm going to try to have a great time, and yes, I've got lots of "film" - memory sticks for my digital camera.