Pages

Step by Step to Alaska and Back

Before I started on the trip to Alaska, I decided I’d wear a pedometer to see how many steps I took each day. I told Jess I figured running around through the airport would be the highest number of steps. As it turns out, I was wrong.

DATE --- LOCATION...................................# STEPS
15-Sep---Flying from Nashville to Seattle.................. 3,000
16-Sep---Touring Seattle; Boarding cruise ship........19,902
17-Sep---Cruising towards Juneau................................9,754
18-Sep---Whale Watching & Wildlife Quest.................7,789
19-Sep---White Pass Summit Train Excursion..........11,024
20-Sep---Cruising Glacier Bay......................................11,734
21-Sep---Ketchikan; Saxman Village tour.....................9,258
22-Sep---Cruising; bus tour of Victoria........................19,712
23-Sep---Seattle airport, fly to Nashville.......................6,758
----TOTAL NUMBER OF STEPS --------------- 98,931

(Which equals about 37 1/2 miles for me if you figure about 2' per step.)

As you can see, even with all the walking I had to do at the Seattle airport, the airport days were still less than any day aboard the ship. I’m not surprised Seattle topped the list with all the walking around the deck of the Space Needle, wandering around in the Science Fiction Museum, then walking from there to Pier 66 to board the ship.

The last day on the cruise ship was high because I was walking a lot going to different places getting us prepared and packed up to go home – returning an Ethernet cable to the Internet Café, picking up forms we needed, going to a disembarkation lecture, etc.

At any rate, you can see that just because you’re sailing along on a ship doesn’t mean you aren’t going to get your exercise!

2 comments:

Very interesting! I've read that we should get in 10,000 steps a day. That's not so easy!

 

No, it's not. You'd think with all the farm chores it would be.. but it doesn't turn out that way!